Thursday 26 September 2013

LADY GWENDOLYN

I just finished reading LADY GWENDOLYN by Magnolia Belle. This was the best medieval romantic adventure I've read for quite a while- definitely the best this year!

The writing and editing was superb and my congratulations go to the team who produced it. I find the cover design beautiful, too.




Here's what I thought about the novel:



Magnolia Belle plunges the reader immediately into a dangerous journey, one that is fraught with deception and treachery. Yet, this initial journey is only one of many - betrayal and a degree of confusion a continuing thread throughout the plot.

Lady Gwendolyn and her maids - Madeleine and Ruth - are set upon, abducted and  embroiled in a trap that becomes filled with all the horror and bloodshed that the Middle Ages was famous for. At times, the current situation calls on characters, main and secondary, to act according to their conscience though they are torn about doing their duty to their liege lord. In Lord Richard’s case, he has some maturing to do very quickly to ensure the best for the people who are under his care…and for the lady he genuinely loves.

The detail throughout the novel is vivid and richly accurate, the locations straddling the border between Scotland and England. Magnolia Belle has created very believable characters, the developing relationships indicating just how constraining the era was in many ways regarding who might marry whom – according to their station and their contractual duties. I was very taken by the character of Beowyn, someone to rely on and wholeheartedly trust. Others were tainted, (no spoiler names here) and yet were redeemable. The little twists at the end bring the plot to a nice and tidy closure.

A very well written and well edited novel, I can thoroughly recommend Lady Gwendolyn to lovers of the medieval era

I gave this novel a well deserved 5 *****

About Magnolia Belle:

My pen name "Magnolia Belle" came from a dream of one day owning a riverboat that offered dinner, sultry jazz and hot R&B while floating down the Mississippi. Realizing I didn't have the millions it'd take to get that dream off the ground, I took the name to write under. I figured it'd be one hard to forget. Plus, it's as southern as I am.
I live in Texas with my husband and our 'pack' of fuzzy children (aka dogs). Before that, I grew up in a military family and lived all across the US and in the Orient. In 1977, I got married and in 1978 I graduated with a degree in Accounting. Yeah, I know. BIG leap from accountant to novelist.
I started my company, "Black Wolf Books" in 2005 as a venue to publish and sell my work. The name "Black Wolf" comes from the first series of 5 novels I've written (and am still working on).
My characters become very real to me, and I often find myself not writing, but rather taking dictation as they tell me their stories. That's also why I tend to write in series of novels. My characters are a gabby bunch!
I hope you'll take the time to meet them. You'll probably fall in love with them just like I have, fuss at them when they do something stupid and cheer them on when they face a hard challenge. When you reach "The End" you'll feel like you've acquired a new set of friends.
All my best!
Belle

You can find details of all of Magnolia Belle's books on her Amazon Author Page

No comments:

Post a Comment